Podcasting is a new way to broadcast audio content over the web; when an author publishes an episode, podcast subscribers are informed, through an XML feed.
Rhythmbox Music Player enables you to subscribe to podcast feeds, so when a new episode is available you'll be informed, it will download this episode and it will play it.
7.1. Podcast Management
7.1.1. Add a podcast
To register to a podcast, choose, then in the new window, enter the URL of the podcast feed. Rhythmbox will retrieve the list of episodes and the latest episode will be downloaded on your hard disk.
To add a new podcast feed, you can also right-click over thesource, and select .
7.1.2. Delete a podcast
To delete a podcast, right-click on the podcast feed's name in the browser, and choose, then choose if you want to keep the podcast's episodes, or choose if you want to delete the feed and all its related episodes.
7.1.3. Update feeds
To know if new episodes have been published for a podcast, right-click over the podcast name in the browser and choose. If new episodes were published, they will appear in the episode list.
Rhythmbox Music Player checks regularly, on its own, the podcast feeds list to find out if they were updated.
You can also check all podcasts, by right-clicking over thesource and choose .
7.1.4. Access Podcast Feed properties
To access to the Feed properties, right-click on the Feed name, and choose.
- On the Basic tab you can view the podcast Title, Author , the Last Updated date and the Description.
- On the Details tab you can view the feed Source, Language and the Copyright properties.
7.2. Episode Management
7.2.1. Download a podcast episode
To download an episode on your disk, right-click on the episode, and choose Status., Rhythmbox will start to download the episode in the location defined in the preferences. You can see the download progress of an episode in the column
By default, podcasts are downloaded in folder Podcasts/ in your home directory. To change location, see Section 14.1.3 ― Podcasts.
7.2.2. Read a podcast episode
To play a podcast episode, select the episode you want to read, and choose; you can also press the button .
The episode have to downloaded before to read it, see Section 7.2.1 ― Download a podcast episode to know how to download a podcast episode.
7.2.3. Delete a podcast episode
To delete an episode from a podcast, right-click on the episode, and choose, then choose if you to keep the episode file on your disk, or choose if you want to remove the episode from the list and delete the file from your disk.
After you delete an episode, it will no longer be available in the list of episodes, even if you update the podcast.
7.2.4. Display Podcast Episode properties
To access to the episode properties, right-click on the episode, and choose.
- On the Basic tab you can view the podcast Title, Feed, the publication Data and the Description.
- On the Details tab you can view the podcast Source, Duration, the Bitrate, the Last Played Date, the Play count and the Rating.
- Copyright © 2002 Mark Finlay
- Copyright © 2002, 2002 Mark Humphreys
- Copyright © 2005, 2006 Baptiste Mille-Mathias
- Copyright © 2006 Victor Osadci
- Copyright © 2008 Dean Sas
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL), Version 1.1 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. You can find a copy of the GFDL at this link or in the file COPYING-DOCS distributed with this manual.
This manual is part of a collection of GNOME manuals distributed under the GFDL. If you want to distribute this manual separately from the collection, you can do so by adding a copy of the license to the manual, as described in section 6 of the license.
Many of the names used by companies to distinguish their products and services are claimed as trademarks. Where those names appear in any GNOME documentation, and the members of the GNOME Documentation Project are made aware of those trademarks, then the names are in capital letters or initial capital letters.
DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT ARE PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THE GNU FREE DOCUMENTATION LICENSE WITH THE FURTHER UNDERSTANDING THAT:
- DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES THAT THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS FREE OF DEFECTS MERCHANTABLE, FIT FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGING. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY, ACCURACY, AND PERFORMANCE OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS WITH YOU. SHOULD ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION PROVE DEFECTIVE IN ANY RESPECT, YOU (NOT THE INITIAL WRITER, AUTHOR OR ANY CONTRIBUTOR) ASSUME THE COST OF ANY NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION. THIS DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY CONSTITUTES AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THIS LICENSE. NO USE OF ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS AUTHORIZED HEREUNDER EXCEPT UNDER THIS DISCLAIMER; AND
- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, WHETHER IN TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL THE AUTHOR, INITIAL WRITER, ANY CONTRIBUTOR, OR ANY DISTRIBUTOR OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT, OR ANY SUPPLIER OF ANY OF SUCH PARTIES, BE LIABLE TO ANY PERSON FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY CHARACTER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER DAMAGES OR LOSSES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO USE OF THE DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT, EVEN IF SUCH PARTY SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
To report a bug or make a suggestion regarding the Rhythmbox Music Player application or this manual, follow the directions in the GNOME Feedback Page.