3.1. To Perform a Basic Search
To perform a basic search for a file on the system, perform the following steps:
Enter the search text in the Name contains field. The search text can be a filename or partial filename, with or without wildcards, as shown in the following table:
Name Contains Text Example Result Full or partial filename myfile.txt Search for Files searches for all files that contain the text myfile.txt in the filename. Partial filename combined with wildcards (*, [, ]) *.[ch] Search for Files searches for all files that have extension .c or .h.
In the Look in folder field, select the folder or device from which you want Search for Files to begin the search.
Clickto perform the search.
Search for Files searches in the directory that you specify and the subdirectories of the directory. Search for Files displays the results of the search in the Search results list box. If Search for Files does not find any files that match the search criteria, the application displays the message "No files found" in the Search results list box.
By default, Search for Files will perform a quick search using the locate command followed by a more thorough second search using the find command. The locate command is faster because it uses a database of information about files. If this database is more than a week old, Search for Files could warn you that the search results may be out of date and give you the option of disabling the quick search. To update the database, run the command updatedb as the root user.
3.2. To Add Search Options
You can add additional options to search for a file on the system. To add search options, perform the following steps:
- Click on the Select more options text.
- Click on the Available options drop-down list.
- Select the search option that you want to apply.
- Click .
- Specify the required search information for the search option, as described in Table 1.
- Repeat the above steps for each search option that you want to apply.
To remove a search option from the current search, click on thebutton next to the option.
To disable the search options from the current search, click on the Select more options text.
|Contains the text||Search for files of type plain text that contain the specified text.|
|Date modified less than||Search for files that are modified less than the period specified in days.|
|Date modified more than||Search for files that are modified longer than the period specified in days.|
|Size at least||Search for files that are equal to or larger than the size specified in kilobytes.|
|Size at most||Search for files that are smaller than or equal to the size specified in kilobytes.|
|File is empty||Search for empty files.|
|Owned by user||Search for files that are owned by the user specified. Type the name of the user in the text box provided.|
|Owned by group||Search for files that are owned by the group specified. Type the name of the group in the text box provided.|
|Owner is unrecognized||Search for files that are owned by a user or group that is unknown to the system.|
|Name does not contain||Search for filenames that do not contain the string that you enter. Enter a full filename or a partial filename with wildcards in the field provided. Use * to indicate a sequence of characters. Use ? to indicate a single character. The search is case sensitive.|
|Name matches regular expression||Search for files that contain the specified regular expression in their directory path or filename. Type the regular expression in the text box provided.|
|Show hidden and backup files||Include hidden and backup files in the search.|
|Follow symbolic links||Follow symbolic links when searching for files.|
|Exclude other filesystems||Search in directories that are in the same filesystem as the start directory.|
3.4. To Open a Displayed File
To open a file displayed in the Search results list box, perform one of the following steps:
- Right-click on the file, then choose .
- Double-click on the file.
To open the folder that contains a file displayed in the Search results list box, right-click on the file, then choose .
3.5. To Delete a Displayed File
To delete a file displayed in the Search results list box, right-click on the file, then choose .
- Copyright © 2005 Dennis Cranston
- Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2004 Sun Microsystems
- Copyright © 2000 Alexander Kirillov
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL), Version 1.1 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. You can find a copy of the GFDL at this link or in the file COPYING-DOCS distributed with this manual.
This manual is part of a collection of GNOME manuals distributed under the GFDL. If you want to distribute this manual separately from the collection, you can do so by adding a copy of the license to the manual, as described in section 6 of the license.
Many of the names used by companies to distinguish their products and services are claimed as trademarks. Where those names appear in any GNOME documentation, and the members of the GNOME Documentation Project are made aware of those trademarks, then the names are in capital letters or initial capital letters.
DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT ARE PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THE GNU FREE DOCUMENTATION LICENSE WITH THE FURTHER UNDERSTANDING THAT:
- DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES THAT THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS FREE OF DEFECTS MERCHANTABLE, FIT FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGING. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY, ACCURACY, AND PERFORMANCE OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS WITH YOU. SHOULD ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION PROVE DEFECTIVE IN ANY RESPECT, YOU (NOT THE INITIAL WRITER, AUTHOR OR ANY CONTRIBUTOR) ASSUME THE COST OF ANY NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION. THIS DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY CONSTITUTES AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THIS LICENSE. NO USE OF ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS AUTHORIZED HEREUNDER EXCEPT UNDER THIS DISCLAIMER; AND
- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, WHETHER IN TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL THE AUTHOR, INITIAL WRITER, ANY CONTRIBUTOR, OR ANY DISTRIBUTOR OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT, OR ANY SUPPLIER OF ANY OF SUCH PARTIES, BE LIABLE TO ANY PERSON FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY CHARACTER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER DAMAGES OR LOSSES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO USE OF THE DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT, EVEN IF SUCH PARTY SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
To report a bug or make a suggestion regarding the Search for Files application or this manual, follow the directions in the GNOME Feedback Page.