Search for Files provides gsettings keys to modify some of its behavior. The gsettings values can be changed by starting the Configuration Editor in the following ways:
- Command line
Execute the following command: dconf-editor
4.1. Disable Quick Search
Key name: org.gnome.gnome-search-tool.disable-quick-search
Default value: false
Search for Files speeds up file name searches by using the locate command. Locate provides a secure way to index and quickly search for file names. Because locate relies on a file index, the Search results list may not always be up to date.
4.2. Disable Quick Search Second Scan
Key name: org.gnome.gnome-search-tool.disable-quick-search-second-scan
Default value: false
After completing a quick search, Search for Files will perform a thorough search using the find command. The purpose of this second scan is to find files that have not been indexed. Files that match the search criteria are added to the Search results list keeping the list up to date.
4.3. Quick Search Excluded Paths
Key name: org.gnome.gnome-search-tool.quick-search-excluded-paths
Default values: [/mnt/*,/media/*,/dev/*,/tmp/*,/proc/*,/var/*]
Search for Files will not perform a quick search for paths defined by this key. File name searches in the defined paths will use the find command. The wildcards '*' and '?' are supported.
4.4. Quick Search Second Scan Excluded Paths
Key name: org.gnome.gnome-search-tool.quick-search-second-scan-excluded-paths
Default values: [/]
Search for Files will not perform a second scan after a quick search for the paths defined by this key. Quick searches in the defined paths will not be followed by a thorough search using the find command. The wildcards '*' and '?' are supported.
- Copyright © 2005 Dennis Cranston
- Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2004 Sun Microsystems
- Copyright © 2000 Alexander Kirillov
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL), Version 1.1 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. You can find a copy of the GFDL at this link or in the file COPYING-DOCS distributed with this manual.
This manual is part of a collection of GNOME manuals distributed under the GFDL. If you want to distribute this manual separately from the collection, you can do so by adding a copy of the license to the manual, as described in section 6 of the license.
Many of the names used by companies to distinguish their products and services are claimed as trademarks. Where those names appear in any GNOME documentation, and the members of the GNOME Documentation Project are made aware of those trademarks, then the names are in capital letters or initial capital letters.
DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT ARE PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THE GNU FREE DOCUMENTATION LICENSE WITH THE FURTHER UNDERSTANDING THAT:
- DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES THAT THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS FREE OF DEFECTS MERCHANTABLE, FIT FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGING. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY, ACCURACY, AND PERFORMANCE OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS WITH YOU. SHOULD ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION PROVE DEFECTIVE IN ANY RESPECT, YOU (NOT THE INITIAL WRITER, AUTHOR OR ANY CONTRIBUTOR) ASSUME THE COST OF ANY NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION. THIS DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY CONSTITUTES AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THIS LICENSE. NO USE OF ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS AUTHORIZED HEREUNDER EXCEPT UNDER THIS DISCLAIMER; AND
- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, WHETHER IN TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL THE AUTHOR, INITIAL WRITER, ANY CONTRIBUTOR, OR ANY DISTRIBUTOR OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT, OR ANY SUPPLIER OF ANY OF SUCH PARTIES, BE LIABLE TO ANY PERSON FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY CHARACTER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER DAMAGES OR LOSSES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO USE OF THE DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT, EVEN IF SUCH PARTY SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
To report a bug or make a suggestion regarding the Search for Files application or this manual, follow the directions in the GNOME Feedback Page.