Playing GNOME Tali
When play starts, you see the results of your first throw of the dice.
- Click on the dice you wish to roll again.
- When you have selected all the dice you wish to reroll, press the button.
- When you have a hand you like, or have run out of chances to throw the dice, click on a row corresponding to what you think is your best scoring combination. It is very possible to have a score of zero and if you click on the wrong row, you will be scored accordingly. (Say for example, you get yahtzee – 5 of a kind – and click on the large straight row, you will receive a zero in your large straight score).
You can only use each combination once, i.e. once you've entered something in a slot, you can't change the score later if you roll a better hand.
There is one exception to this rule: if you roll a yahtzee a second time you can put it in the yahtzee row again for an extra fifty points. You can keep doing this each time you get another yahtzee. At the end of the game you will be given extra rolls to fill in the other rows. Be warned that if you score zero in your yahtzee row (i.e. you filled that row with something that wasn't a yahtzee) then you can't put a yahtzee in afterward, zero is all you will score.
There is also a bonus of 35 points if you score a total of 63 points or more in the top six rows.
- 2.1. Using the keyboard
2.1. Using the keyboard
As an alternative to using the mouse, the keys 1 through 5 toggle the dice just as if you had clicked them. The key 1 corresponds to the first die and so on. Use the usual controls to roll the dice and select a row. i.e. use Tab to switch between the roll button and the score area, use the arrow keys to navigate up and down the rows and use space to select.
- Copyright © 2001 Scott D. Heavner
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation Licence (GFDL), Version 1.1 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. You can find a copy of the GFDL at this link or in the file COPYING-DOCS distributed with this manual.
This manual is part of a collection of GNOME manuals distributed under the GFDL. If you want to distribute this manual separately from the collection, you can do so by adding a copy of the licence to the manual, as described in section 6 of the licence.
Many of the names used by companies to distinguish their products and services are claimed as trademarks. Where those names appear in any GNOME documentation, and the members of the GNOME Documentation Project are made aware of those trademarks, then the names are in capital letters or initial capital letters.
DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT ARE PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THE GNU FREE DOCUMENTATION LICENSE WITH THE FURTHER UNDERSTANDING THAT:
- DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES THAT THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS FREE OF DEFECTS MERCHANTABLE, FIT FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGING. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY, ACCURACY, AND PERFORMANCE OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS WITH YOU. SHOULD ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION PROVE DEFECTIVE IN ANY RESPECT, YOU (NOT THE INITIAL WRITER, AUTHOR OR ANY CONTRIBUTOR) ASSUME THE COST OF ANY NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION. THIS DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY CONSTITUTES AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THIS LICENSE. NO USE OF ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS AUTHORIZED HEREUNDER EXCEPT UNDER THIS DISCLAIMER; AND
- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, WHETHER IN TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL THE AUTHOR, INITIAL WRITER, ANY CONTRIBUTOR, OR ANY DISTRIBUTOR OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT, OR ANY SUPPLIER OF ANY OF SUCH PARTIES, BE LIABLE TO ANY PERSON FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY CHARACTER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER DAMAGES OR LOSSES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO USE OF THE DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT, EVEN IF SUCH PARTY SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
To report a bug or make a suggestion regarding the Tali application or this manual, follow the directions in the GNOME Feedback Page.