The gnome-bluetooth preference dialog allows you to manage your various Bluetooth devices or change properties of your Bluetooth adapter(s).
- 3.1. Discoverable
- 3.2. Adapter friendly name
- 3.3. Known Devices
- 3.4. Show Bluetooth icon
- 3.5. Receive Files
When your adapter is set to Discoverable any Bluetooth device around will be able to see it, and therefore will able to ask pairing.
Bluetooth as other network types implies security risks, so setting your adapter undiscoverable to other devices is a good thing to do to limit the possibility of cracking.
This is only useful to set your device discoverable if you plan to pair it with another device, once it is done, you can untick Discoverable.
When your device is undiscoverable, communication with already paired Bluetooth devices is possible.
3.2. Adapter friendly name
The friendly name is an alias for the address used to identified each Bluetooth device much easier to remind.
By default the adapter friendly name is HOSTNAME-0 (where HOSTNAME is the name of your computer), to change it, edit the text entry and set the name you want. the change will be immediatly effective.
3.3. Known Devices
Known devices lists the Bluetooth devices you paired and let you manage them, like deleting them, connect to them or adding new one.
- Setup new device, as described in Section 2.6 ― Adding a new device
- Connect / Disconnect to a device.
- Device Deletion. Deletion will suppress pairing between the adapter and the device, and no communication will be allowed. You need to pair them together again if you want transfer files for instance.
3.4. Show Bluetooth icon
You can show or hide Bluetooth icon in the panel. See Section 2 ― Bluetooth Applet for the applet features.
If you disable the icon in the panel, only limited set of actions will remain available.
3.5. Receive Files
Click on the Receive Files button and the Personal File Sharing Preferences dialog will appear. You can configure Bluetooth file reception and sharing there.
This feature is not provided by gnome-bluetooth. gnome-user-share must be installed to use this feature.
Read more in the Personal File Sharing Manual: receiving and sharing.
- Copyright © 2009 Baptiste Mille-Mathias
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL), Version 1.1 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. You can find a copy of the GFDL at this link or in the file COPYING-DOCS distributed with this manual.
This manual is part of a collection of GNOME manuals distributed under the GFDL. If you want to distribute this manual separately from the collection, you can do so by adding a copy of the license to the manual, as described in section 6 of the license.
Many of the names used by companies to distinguish their products and services are claimed as trademarks. Where those names appear in any GNOME documentation, and the members of the GNOME Documentation Project are made aware of those trademarks, then the names are in capital letters or initial capital letters.
DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT ARE PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THE GNU FREE DOCUMENTATION LICENSE WITH THE FURTHER UNDERSTANDING THAT:
- DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES THAT THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS FREE OF DEFECTS MERCHANTABLE, FIT FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGING. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY, ACCURACY, AND PERFORMANCE OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS WITH YOU. SHOULD ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION PROVE DEFECTIVE IN ANY RESPECT, YOU (NOT THE INITIAL WRITER, AUTHOR OR ANY CONTRIBUTOR) ASSUME THE COST OF ANY NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION. THIS DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY CONSTITUTES AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THIS LICENSE. NO USE OF ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS AUTHORIZED HEREUNDER EXCEPT UNDER THIS DISCLAIMER; AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, WHETHER IN TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL THE AUTHOR, INITIAL WRITER, ANY CONTRIBUTOR, OR ANY DISTRIBUTOR OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT, OR ANY SUPPLIER OF ANY OF SUCH PARTIES, BE LIABLE TO ANY PERSON FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY CHARACTER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER DAMAGES OR LOSSES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO USE OF THE DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT, EVEN IF SUCH PARTY SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
To report a bug or make a suggestion regarding the gnome-bluetooth application or this manual, follow the directions in the GNOME Feedback Page .