Entering Track Data
When you insert an audio CD, Sound Juicer will automatically retrieve the track data from MusicBrainz. MusicBrainz is a free service that provides a database of data for most published CDs. Sound Juicer uses the CD's serial number and the positions and lengths of the tracks to match against CD in the MusicBrainz database.
Occasionally, more than one CD will have the same layout. If more than one CD is found, Sound Juicer will present a dialog allowing you to choose which CD data to use. If the wrong CD is detected, or if MusicBrainz does not contain any matching CDs, you will have to enter the track information manually. Also, if you choose, you can add the information for the CD to MusicBrainz database with a banner that will appear.
The top of the window contains text boxes for the title, artist, year, and genre of the CD. Below that is a list of the audio tracks on the CD. You can set the track title and artist for each track. Sound Juicer uses this information to name the files and folders where your music is stored. The track and album information is also encoded directly into the audio files. Many music players, including portable devices, use this information to organize and display the audio files.
To edit the title of a track, first select the track, then click on the title. When you have finished entering the title, press the Enter key on your keyboard, or click outside the title.
When you edit the artist for the CD, the artist for each track is automatically updated, but only if they also matched before the change (so that changling the album artist of a compilation doesn't change all of the track artists too). Most CDs are by a single artist, and this feature saves you the time of entering the artist for each track.
Some CDs, however, are compilations of songs by different artists. For these CDs, you will have to enter the artist for each track. To set the artist for a track, first select the track, then click on the artist. You can set the artist for the CD to a value like "Various" or simply leave it blank, depending on how you prefer to organize your music.
You can enter track data without using the mouse. Use the up and down arrow keys to select a track, and the left and right arrow keys to focus the title or artist. Press the space bar to begin editing the title or artist, and press Enter when finished.
MusicBrainz unfortunately does not provide genre data, but Sound Juicer includes several stock genres:
- Spoken Word
If you choose to make a custom genre, it will be remembered in the future.
- Copyright © 2003 Mike Hearn (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Copyright © 2005 Shaun McCance
- Copyright © 2008 Andreas Freund
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL), Version 1.1 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. You can find a copy of the GFDL at this link or in the file COPYING-DOCS distributed with this manual.
This manual is part of a collection of GNOME manuals distributed under the GFDL. If you want to distribute this manual separately from the collection, you can do so by adding a copy of the license to the manual, as described in section 6 of the license.
Many of the names used by companies to distinguish their products and services are claimed as trademarks. Where those names appear in any GNOME documentation, and the members of the GNOME Documentation Project are made aware of those trademarks, then the names are in capital letters or initial capital letters.
DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT ARE PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THE GNU FREE DOCUMENTATION LICENSE WITH THE FURTHER UNDERSTANDING THAT:
- DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES THAT THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS FREE OF DEFECTS MERCHANTABLE, FIT FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGING. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY, ACCURACY, AND PERFORMANCE OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS WITH YOU. SHOULD ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION PROVE DEFECTIVE IN ANY RESPECT, YOU (NOT THE INITIAL WRITER, AUTHOR OR ANY CONTRIBUTOR) ASSUME THE COST OF ANY NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION. THIS DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY CONSTITUTES AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THIS LICENSE. NO USE OF ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS AUTHORIZED HEREUNDER EXCEPT UNDER THIS DISCLAIMER; AND
- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, WHETHER IN TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL THE AUTHOR, INITIAL WRITER, ANY CONTRIBUTOR, OR ANY DISTRIBUTOR OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT, OR ANY SUPPLIER OF ANY OF SUCH PARTIES, BE LIABLE TO ANY PERSON FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY CHARACTER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER DAMAGES OR LOSSES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO USE OF THE DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT, EVEN IF SUCH PARTY SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.