Weather Report Manual
The Weather Report downloads weather information from the U.S National Weather Service (NWS) servers, including the Interactive Weather Information Network (IWIN) and other weather services. You can use Weather Report to display current weather information and weather forecasts on your computer.
If your computer is located behind a firewall, you must use a proxy server to access the weather servers. To configure the GNOME Desktop to use a proxy server, use your preference tools to specify the network proxy server for Internet connections.
Weather Report displays the following information for the default location, or a location that you specify:
- A weather icon that represents the general weather conditions. See Section 1.1 ― Weather Icons on Panel.
- The current temperature.
1.1. Weather Icons on Panel
|It is clear and fine.|
|It is partly cloudy.|
|It is cloudy.|
|It is foggy or overcast.|
|It is rainy or wet.|
|It is snowing.|
|It is stormy.|
The preferences dialog is accessed by right-clicking on the Weather Report in the panel.
2.1. Changing to Particular Location
When you add the Weather Report to a panel for the first time, the application displays the weather for Pittsburg, Pennsylvania by default. To display the weather for a different location, perform the following steps:
- Right-click on the application.
- Choose Weather Preferences dialog. from the application popup menu. The application displays the
- Select the Location tab. The Location tabbed section contains a list of geographical regions, subregions, and specific locations.
- Click on the arrow next to a region to display the subregions in the region.
- Click on the arrow next to a subregion to display the locations in the subregion.
- Click on a location. While the application retrieves the weather information for the new location, the tooltip "Updating" is displayed when you point to the icon.
- Click Weather Preferences dialog. to close the
You can already try searching by entering the name of your city into the Find field. Be aware that for cities close together, or for cities with no airport you may have to pick a nearby city in the region.
2.2. Updating Weather Information
To update the weather information that the Weather Report displays in the panel, right-click on the icon, then choose.
To automatically update the weather information at regular intervals, perform the following steps:
- Go to the right-click menu and select .
- In the Weather Preferences dialog under the General tab, select the Automatically update every ... minutes option.
- Use the spin box to specify the interval at which the Weather Report retrieves updated information from the weather server. The default is to check every thirty minutes.
- Click Weather Preferences dialog. to close the
2.3. Changing Units
Go to the right-click menu and select Weather Preferences dialog under the General tab, select the units of measurement you want to use.. In the
A number of different measurements are available, including metric, imperial, SI and others. The choice Default will use what we think is the default for your region, based off your chosen locale.
To view detailed weather information, right-click on the Weather Report, then choose Details dialog. The Details dialog contains the following default tabbed sections:. The Weather Report displays the
- Current Conditions
- Radar Map (optional)
3.1. Current Conditions
The Current Conditions tabbed section displays the following information:
|City||Location to which the current weather conditions apply.|
|Last update||Time at which the weather conditions were last updated on the weather server.|
|Conditions||General weather conditions.|
|Sky||General sky conditions.|
|Dew point||Temperature at which dew forms.|
|Humidity||Percentage of moisture in the atmosphere.|
|Wind||Direction and speed of the wind.|
|Visibility||Range of vision as determined by the light and atmosphere conditions.|
|Sunrise||The calculated sunrise time for your location|
|Sunset||The calculated sunset time for your location|
Sunrise and sunset times are calculated locally from latitude and longitude information stored on your computer. Some conditions, such as refraction of light through the air, are hard to model. Resultantly, the calculated values for sunrise and sunset may be off by up to 10 minutes.
The Forecast tabbed section displays a forecast for the location for the immediate future, usually the next five days.
Forecasts are only available for some locations in the U.S.A, Australia and the United Kingdom.
3.3. Radar Map
By default, the Radar Map tabbed section is not displayed in the Forecast dialog. Weather Report downloads the radar maps from www.weather.com. If the radar map is not available from www.weather.com, Weather Report displays a question mark. To go to the www.weather.com web site, click on the button.
To enable the radar map, perform the following steps:
- Go to the Weather Preferences dialog by selecting Preferences in the right-click menu.
- In the General tab, select the Enable radar map option.
- By default, Weather Report downloads the radar maps from www.weather.com. Select the Use custom address for radar map option to display radar maps from an alternative Internet address. You must type the address in the Address text box.
Most locations do not define a default radar map, especially outside of the U.S.A. Many locations will require you to specify a custom URL, if you wish to have a radar map.