2.1. Adding Gnote to the Panel
To add Gnote to a panel, right-click on the panel, then choose Figure 1.. Select Gnote in the Add to the panel dialog, then click . You should see a yellow note icon appear in the panel, representing Gnote. The panel icon is illustrated in
2.2. Creating Notes
Once you have successfully added Gnote to the Panel, you can create new notes using one of the following methods.
To create a new note using the mouse:
- Click on the Gnote note icon present in the GNOME Panel. A menu will appear.
- Select the option in the menu.
To create a new note using the keyboard:
- Open the Gnote menu using the key combination Alt+F12.
- Use the N key to select the menu option .
2.3. Editing Notes
After creating a new note, a new window will appear with the title New Note N. At the top of the note is a toolbar with several buttons and text. Directly below this toolbar is the content area of the note. This is illustrated in Figure 2.
The note can be edited by clicking in the content area and using the keyboard to add and remove content. The first line is considered the title of the note. By default this is populated with the text “New Note N”. The title is changed by clicking in the content area on the first line and using the keyboard to change the title. By default, focus is given to the content area upon creation of a new note, so you can immediately start editing the note without the need to click on the content area with the mouse.
Using the toolbar available on each note is discussed in Section 3 ― Working With Notes.
2.4. Table of Contents
To get an overview of all the notes managed by Gnote, select the Search All Notes dialog will display the notes in the order that they were last modified. Click the Note or Last Changed column headings to change the sort order. Click the column heading a second time to toggle between ascending and descending order.menu item from the panel menu. By default, the
You can find specific notes by entering text into the search field in the Search All Notes dialog. The list of notes will automatically update to list only the notes which have matching text.
To open a note in the Search All Notes dialog, do one of the following:
- Double-click on a note.
- Highlight a note by selecting it and then select from the menu.
- Right-click on a note and select from the context menu that appears.
- Highlight a note by selecting it and then press the key combination Ctrl+O.
- Copyright © 2008 Alex Graveley
- Copyright © 2008 Brent Smith
- Copyright © 2008 Free Software Foundation
- Copyright © 2008 Boyd Timothy
- Copyright © 2008 Sandy Armstrong
- Copyright © 2008 Paul Cutler
- Copyright © 2009 Hubert Figuiere
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL), Version 1.1 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. You can find a copy of the GFDL at this link or in the file COPYING-DOCS distributed with this manual.
This manual is part of a collection of GNOME manuals distributed under the GFDL. If you want to distribute this manual separately from the collection, you can do so by adding a copy of the license to the manual, as described in section 6 of the license.
Many of the names used by companies to distinguish their products and services are claimed as trademarks. Where those names appear in any GNOME documentation, and the members of the GNOME Documentation Project are made aware of those trademarks, then the names are in capital letters or initial capital letters.
DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT ARE PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THE GNU FREE DOCUMENTATION LICENSE WITH THE FURTHER UNDERSTANDING THAT:
- DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES THAT THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS FREE OF DEFECTS MERCHANTABLE, FIT FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGING. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY, ACCURACY, AND PERFORMANCE OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS WITH YOU. SHOULD ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION PROVE DEFECTIVE IN ANY RESPECT, YOU (NOT THE INITIAL WRITER, AUTHOR OR ANY CONTRIBUTOR) ASSUME THE COST OF ANY NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION. THIS DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY CONSTITUTES AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THIS LICENSE. NO USE OF ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS AUTHORIZED HEREUNDER EXCEPT UNDER THIS DISCLAIMER; AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, WHETHER IN TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL THE AUTHOR, INITIAL WRITER, ANY CONTRIBUTOR, OR ANY DISTRIBUTOR OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT, OR ANY SUPPLIER OF ANY OF SUCH PARTIES, BE LIABLE TO ANY PERSON FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY CHARACTER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER DAMAGES OR LOSSES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO USE OF THE DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT, EVEN IF SUCH PARTY SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
To report a bug or make a suggestion regarding the Gnote application or this manual, follow the directions in the GNOME Feedback Page.