When you add Character Palette to a panel for the first time, the application displays a default palette of characters. You can select a character from the default palette, or you can select a character from predefined palettes of characters. Each predefined palette of characters is associated with a standard character on your keyboard.
2.1. To Select a Character
To select a character from the palette and insert the character into a text string, perform the following steps:
In the palette, click on the character that you require. The character button is pressed in to indicate that the character is selected.
Point to the location in an application where you want to put the character and middle-click to insert the character. You can also paste the character into the application if the application allows you to paste from the clipboard.
You can repeat the insertion using middle-click as many times as you want until you either deselect the character or select text in another application. You can continue pasting the character from the clipboard until you either deselect the character or copy to the clipboard from another application.
To deselect the character, click it again or click another character.
Some applications may not allow you to paste certain characters.
2.2. To Display a Predefined Palette of Characters
You can change the characters that are displayed in the application from the default palette to a predefined palette of characters. To display a palette of predefined characters, perform the following steps:
- Click on the button on the application, the down arrow on the left.
- Click on the palette that you want to display.
You can select the character that you require from the palette of characters that is displayed in the application, then insert the character into your text string.
2.3. Characters' Keys
The following chart lists keyboard characters and their associated groups of characters. The keyboard characters are listed in the first column of each section in the chart. The character groups that are associated with each keyboard character are shown in the other columns.
- Copyright © 2005 Davyd Madeley
- Copyright © 2004 Angela Boyle
- Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2004 Sun Microsystems
- Copyright © 2000 Dan Mueth
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation Licence (GFDL), Version 1.1 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. You can find a copy of the GFDL at this link or in the file COPYING-DOCS distributed with this manual.
This manual is part of a collection of GNOME manuals distributed under the GFDL. If you want to distribute this manual separately from the collection, you can do so by adding a copy of the licence to the manual, as described in section 6 of the licence.
Many of the names used by companies to distinguish their products and services are claimed as trademarks. Where those names appear in any GNOME documentation, and the members of the GNOME Documentation Project are made aware of those trademarks, then the names are in capital letters or initial capital letters.
DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT ARE PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THE GNU FREE DOCUMENTATION LICENSE WITH THE FURTHER UNDERSTANDING THAT:
- DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES THAT THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS FREE OF DEFECTS MERCHANTABLE, FIT FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGING. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY, ACCURACY, AND PERFORMANCE OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS WITH YOU. SHOULD ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION PROVE DEFECTIVE IN ANY RESPECT, YOU (NOT THE INITIAL WRITER, AUTHOR OR ANY CONTRIBUTOR) ASSUME THE COST OF ANY NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION. THIS DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY CONSTITUTES AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THIS LICENSE. NO USE OF ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS AUTHORIZED HEREUNDER EXCEPT UNDER THIS DISCLAIMER; AND
- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, WHETHER IN TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL THE AUTHOR, INITIAL WRITER, ANY CONTRIBUTOR, OR ANY DISTRIBUTOR OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT, OR ANY SUPPLIER OF ANY OF SUCH PARTIES, BE LIABLE TO ANY PERSON FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY CHARACTER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER DAMAGES OR LOSSES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO USE OF THE DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT, EVEN IF SUCH PARTY SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
To report a bug or make a suggestion regarding the Character Palette application or this manual, follow the directions in the GNOME Feedback Page.